June 15, 2010

general information

It's been too long since I posted last. Just too many things going on in life right now besides Mango...he's becoming much more well behaved, so there's overall less to say about him.

One new thing I noticed is that, for some reason, he is much more well behaved when out somewhere besides at home. When going outside to park, he quite often pulls and it takes fifteen minutes just to walk a couple feet because hes so excited. In contrast, when at Borders just yesterday, he walked perfectly fine just like any other dog! I'm not entirely sure why this is or any possible fixes.

Another thing about him is his intelligence. I always would have thought a smart dog would be easier to train than a less sharp animal, but I'm finding that it's quite the opposite. He knows how to sneak into his food bag and when it's most conveinent for him to listen, and he understands how its easier to get away with bad behavior when I'm frustrated. He also knows that I am more likely to give him treats than any other person, and that its easier to get away with things. Although I try and instruct others how to act around him, alot of the times they don't listen, and it's detrimental to his training. This is another thing I never would have expected.

But overall, Mango is doing amazing for his age! He's calmed down alot, but is still a puppy. He's started to counter-surf, but because he understands "leave-it", as long as you catch him in the act he stops. I need to pick up on his training drastically now that school is out. I need to correct his problem of not listening and get him used to being calm (another huge problem with him when he is around other people or animals). He's improved with our cats, chasing them less now (which is good, considering his jaws are so strong he could probably break their necks!).

Patience and perserverence and time are the three keys to raising a puppy, something I'm finding very difficult to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment