June 22, 2010

Memorial Day Parade!

I realized that I never posted anything about our adventure at the Memorial Day parade this year! Every year our community throws a parade for this very important date, and it is the biggest parade of the year. There were fire trucks, horses, lots and lots of cars, and people throwing candy, which he very happily 'left it' for me. It was so very scorching hot that day, we got very creative with ideas for how to drink water.

Mango did very, very well with behaving. This includes listening to my 'leave it' when the kiddies were throwing candy, sitting pretty for pictures and standing when I wanted publicity for Leader Dogs. Although we didn't walk in the parade, he did wear his jacket and quite a few people asked me about the Leader Dog program. Many were impressed when they saw how tolerant he was of the firetrucks that went by with their lights and signals on, as well as loud motorcycles and other distractions that normally would have startled a dog. This is one of Mango's biggest strengths; being tolerant to loud, frightful noises. He was also very calm around the horses that walked in the parade, one such distraction I was afraid he would be uneasy about.

It was an amazingly hot day, which made this hard for both him and I to sit on the side of the road with no shade, but somehow we did it! In general, Mango did extremely well. It was great exposure time for him and loud noises, and he fared amazingly. He's growing up so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment