April 22, 2010

Mango is better!

So the vet held him over the weekend. From Friday until Monday morning. The vet diagnosed that something that he ate gave him a stomach ulcer. Mango came back Monday evening, the same puppy only with medicine who eats three times a day except two. I have to say, I don't think I've ever had a longer weekend in my life.

It was different, definitely. I got a little glimpse into what it's going to be like when Mango is gone, which only made me realize how attached I've grown to him over the past few months. The house was very quiet, and it was strange not having to take him out to park. Having him gone brought to my attention how much time he really takes, and how my family and I have change to accommodate for him. Between trips outside to not having a buddy to walk through the grocery store with you, Mango has really become a huge part of everyone's lives. Raising these puppies is an amazing thing; it is a truly wonderful experience.

Not much has come along with training, seeing as Mango was sick much of the week, and not with us. As always, he's maturing, meaning that he's much more consistent with what I tell him to do, but much less malleable as far as new training. For example, I got a late start with his "around" command, in which he goes around the blind person from the left to the right side. This is used when traveling through doors, mainly. Although he can sit, lay down, sit back up, heel, leave-it, and loose-leash walk (almost) fine, and he learned these quickly when he was younger, he's having trouble learning new things. He's not old, he's just a "teenager" dog. He's distracted, and has a hard enough time retaining old information to learn new stuff.

In general, things with Mango are going great. Nothing out of the ordinary, besides his illness. He's a great dog.

Speaking of which, he's a dog! He fits into his jacket now (as compared to a bandana), and he looks like an adult in it. Oh, how the time flies!

No comments:

Post a Comment